Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Finally.

I finally was able to flip the last page of my "Bad President" desk calender this morning. At the bottom of every page was a countdown keeping track of how many days until Dubbya would be ousted from office. Today the bottom of the calendar page simply read, "It's finally over." That pretty much sums it up. It's finally over.

I woke up this morning and could feel the energy in the air - it was like waking up on Christmas morning as a kid...only way better. I'm filled with so much hope and optimism about our country. I realize that President Obama doesn't have a magic wand that he can wave and cure all of the ills imposed on us and the rest of the world by the white house's former occupant...but just knowing that there is an intelligent and thoughtful person in charge will make me sleep much better tonight.

Now I'm just waiting for the day when I can see/hear President Obama (I'll never get tired of saying that) without getting all weepy and emotional. I've been a hot mess the past couple of days with the non-stop inauguration coverage (the HBO special at the Lincoln Memorial on Sunday nearly put me over the edge). I watched President Obama's inaugural address this morning at work, crowded into an office with 8 of my co-workers peering at the live video stream from NPR. I snapped the photo above with my phone, not that I really needed a photo, I'm certain I will always remember exactly where I was today at 11am. The rest of my evening will likely be spent glued to MSNBC with the dog in my lap fighting for space with the box of kleenex.
Happy Inauguration Day. It's finally here!

No comments:

Post a Comment